Skip to main content

Page tree

Table of Contents

General FAQs

Q:When does the reporting system open?

A: The system will open on December 12, 2014 for all programs.

Q:When is the due date for the performance report?

A: Performance reports are due by January 31, 2015 for all programs. No extensions will be granted beyond this date. Failure to submit a performance report by your due date may place your grant in a non-compliant status.

Q:What dates does the performance report cover?

A: The performance report submitted by grantees should cover all activities conducted through the grant for the six month period from July 1, 2014 through December 31, 2014.

Q:Is it possible to change data entered incorrectly in a prior reporting period?

A: No. Data entered in a previous reporting period cannot be edited. It is important that grantees endeavor to provide the most accurate data during each reporting period.

FAQs about the PC forms

Q:Do I need to set up my training program again if it is being reused in the current reporting period?

A: No. If you previously reported on a training program, you do not need to set up the program again. All of your previously used training programs will be displayed in your training program setup menu with a record status of ‘Prior Record’ displayed.

Q:What are the status options for the different types of programs?

A: Structured and Unstructured Training programs use program status options of “Ongoing” or “Complete.” All other types of training programs (degree/certificate, internships, fellowships, 1-year retraining, practica/field placements, and residencies) use the status options of “Active” and “Inactive.”

Q:In the PC forms, do we count all trainees in our program regardless of the year of study; include full-time/part-time trainees, etc.?

A: Yes, as long as trainees are enrolled or participating in the training program identified under Block 1.

Q:Are we required to provide this information only on the trainees in the programs we received funding for?

A: The PC tables capture information about the universe of trainees regardless of funding status at your school. This is the only form that collects this type of information in aggregate.

FAQs about the LR-1 through DV-3 forms

Q:In prior reports, the LR-1, LR-2 and DV tables reported unduplicated counts. In this current reporting format, will we be reporting duplicated counts for those tables?

A: The new format requires grantees to provide counts by training program. While we understand that an individual may participate in multiple programs offered by grantees, this new approach will allow us to better understand each program separately.

Q:In the LR- and DV- tables, are the counts for graduates and/or program completers a subset of the total trainee number or are they to be reported separately?

A: On the LR- and DV- forms, graduates and program completers are not reported as a subset of the current trainee total. Please report aggregate counts of trainees (e.g., enrollees, residents, and fellows) SEPARATELY from the aggregate counts of graduates or program completers.

Q:What address should we use to determine if an individual is considered to come from a rural residential background? Do we consider a student's high school address, medical school address or childhood home address?

A: It depends on the information available. The definition of rural residential background is based on whether an individual has ever lived in a rural area. Grantees may choose to use the address prior to matriculation or the institution's address.

FAQs about the INDGEN form

Q:Where do we get the Trainee Unique ID?

A: Grantees are responsible for developing a unique ID for each individual for which an INDGEN entry is required. Grantees must keep a log of these unique IDs in order to provide semiannual and 1-year follow-up updates through the BPMH system.

Q:What are the characters of the 7 digit unique ID?

A: Each unique ID must be made up of 7 alphanumeric characters (meaning that, you may use a combination of both letters and numbers).

Q:Are INDGEN records from the last semiannual period stored in the EHB?

A: It depends. All INDGEN records that were reported during prior reporting periods will be shown in your INDGEN table as ‘Prior Records’ until (a) the record is marked as a graduate/ program completer, or (b) the individual permanently discontinues participation in the training program (i.e., attrition). Any INDGEN record that was marked as having graduated or completed will be transferred into INDGEN-GPC for the next reporting period. INDGEN records for individuals who permanently discontinued training will not re-populate in EHB in the next reporting period.

Q:Last year we created individual participant codes (Unique IDs) to be included in the INDGEN table. If any of those participants attend a new training cycle this year, should we use the same code for that participant, or create a new code for that participant? Are those codes needed this year?

A: The purpose of the Unique ID is to track an individual’s training participation over time. If the same individual is simultaneously participating in multiple training programs, you should use the same unique ID. Note that each training program must also have a unique name. The same unique ID-training program combination cannot be present in more than one location (INDGEN/INDGEN-GPC/INDGEN-PY).

Q:What if an individual already listed on INDGEN did not receive a financial award during the six month reporting period?

A: If an individual from a prior record did not receive a financial award during the current reporting period, please indicate this under Block 11. The record will remain on INDGEN until this individual is marked as a graduate/program completer or a drop-out of the training program.

Q:Is there an option to report Ethnicity as unknown?

A: No. While there is an option for "Not Reported" on the INDGEN form, grantees are expected to collect race and ethnicity data on each individual for whom an INDGEN entry is required. If the option of "Not Reported" is selected for an individual's race, ethnicity or any other of the core demographic variables, it is expected that the grantee will collect this information and provide an update by the next reporting period.

Q:Is reporting the underrepresented Asian distinction no longer included? The loss of the Asian Underrepresented category is a real loss to describing the diversity of our enrollees and their under-representation in medicine – any suggestions on how we can still express this diversity within our report?

A: The definition of an underrepresented minority (URM) included in the instruction manuals specifically states that a URM is "is an individual from a racial and/or ethnic group that is considered inadequately represented in a specific profession relative to the numbers of that racial and/or ethnic group in the general population". While some professional or accrediting organizations collect detailed information on Asian subpopulations, data sources for the general population (i.e., the Census) do not. Therefore, it is not possible to determine that specific Asian subpopulations are underrepresented relative to the general population. Furthermore, federal agencies have been directed by the Office of Management and Budget to collect race/ethnicity data in a manner consistent with that used for the Census. As a result, all race and ethnicity categories displayed in the INDGEN sub-form are identical to those used in the Census.

Q:Can we use our institutions definitions/standards for disadvantaged background?

A: The BHW definition of disadvantaged background is included in the glossary of each instruction manual. As long as an institution's definition or standard does not contradict the federal definition of disadvantaged, then grantees may choose to count individuals who have been deemed disadvantaged by the institution. Otherwise, you must use the definition for disadvantaged background located in your program manual glossary.

Q:Do we report full time faculty who receive salary support for teaching or administrative responsibilities?

A: It depends on whether a specific faculty member is part of the project. For project staff (including faculty), this information is not required as it is captured in your grant's budget documents.

Q:Do conference registration fees count as financial support?

A: Yes, but only for non-project staff.

Q:How do we find out an individual's family income?

A: The institution's financial aid office should have that information, as part of the required application for financial aid.

Q:For veteran status, are we asking only for the student or trainee’s status, or the trainee's family status (e.g. dependent of veteran, spouse of veteran, etc.)?

A: Only the trainee's status should be reported.

Q:How is the academic year funding total calculated?

A: The academic year total is automatically calculated in EHB as the sum of both semiannual amounts within the same academic year. This means that during data entry for the first semiannual period, the automatically calculated totals for the current reporting period and academic year total will be the same. When you enter, save, and validate the funding amount for the second semiannual period, the academic year total will automatically recalculate and will sum the two semiannual amounts.

Q:How is the cumulative funding total calculated?

A: The cumulative funding total is automatically re-calculated each semiannual period in EHB. This is the total of each semiannual amount that has been entered for the individual record either (a) across the life of the grant or (b) since the BPMH system has been in use starting with Academic Year 2012-2013.

FAQs about the INDGEN-PY form

Q:How do I use the INDGEN-PY form?

A: One year after an INDGEN record is marked as a graduate/program completer, you will be asked to provide an update on the individual’s employment/enrollment status. The INDGEN-PY form will automatically pre-populate with the individual records that appeared in the INDGEN-GPC form in the previous reporting period.

FAQs about the EXP forms

Q:What training sites do I need to report on this form? Is it all of the sites our program uses?

A: Grantees should report only on sites used to provide training to students, trainees, or faculty supported by the grant during the current reporting period.

Q:Our hospital provides multiple training sites for our trainees. Do I list the hospital or the specific clinics and offices within the hospital?

A: You should list the specific clinics and offices within the hospital that provide training to supported trainees for the EXP forms.

Q:Do I need to list a site more than once on EXP-2?

A: You may need to list a site multiple times on the EXP-2 form. For sites that provide training to students, trainees and faculty from different training programs, it should be listed on the form for each training program the grant sponsors.

Q:How can I report Interprofessional team-based care at the training sites?

A: Interprofessional team-based care reporting is a three-step process on the EXP-3 form. After identifying the training program and site, the first step is to select ALL of the professions and disciplines represented on the interprofessional team (including the profession of the principal-HRSA sponsored trainees). The second step is to provide the number of trainees (by discipline) who were trained by the HRSA-sponsored program (principal trainees). The final step is to provide the number of other trainees (by discipline) who were trained at the site, alongside the principal trainees, but were not enrolled in the HRSA-sponsored program.

FAQs about the CDE-1 form

Q:What if courses are created with a variety of funding sources?

A: Grantees should complete a CDE-1 entry for each course or training activity that was developed or enhanced using any amount of HRSA grant funds.

Q:Why do only some of the courses I entered last time appear in the CDE-1 form this time?

A: Only courses that were marked as ‘Under Development’ or ‘Developed but Not Yet Implemented’ will pre-populate the CDE-1 table. Courses marked as ‘Implemented’ will pre-populate the new CDE-1a table.

Q:For CDE-2, do we report on all attendees or only those directly funded by a BHW-funded program for this reporting period?

A: For the purposes of the CDE-2 form, count all individuals trained (whether or not the individuals received direct financial support) through courses or training activities developed or enhanced using any BHW funds during the current reporting period.

FAQs about the Faculty Development (FD) forms

Q:What is the difference between a structured faculty development program and an unstructured faculty development activity?

A: Structured and unstructured faculty development programs differ in a few ways. Generally, structured faculty development programs are administered over a longer period of time and involve multiple meetings/sessions. Additionally, structured programs tend to be curriculum-driven, and may lead to the conferral of a degree or certificate. In contrast, unstructured faculty development activities are shorter in duration, and are single, stand-alone trainings. Faculty development activities include conferences, workshops, and grand rounds.

FAQs about the Continuing Education (CE) forms

Q:For CE-2, do we report on all attendees or only those directly funded by a BHW-funded program for this reporting period?

A: For the purposes of the CE-2 form, count all individuals trained (whether or not the individuals received direct financial support) through courses or training activities developed or enhanced using any BHW funds during the current reporting period. Individuals attending CE trainings should be current providers, rather than students.

FAQs about Technical Support & Assistance

Q:Who do we contact if we need technical assistance entering data in EHB?

A: Grantees should contact HRSA's Call Center for any type of questions related to the performance report. The Call Center can be reached via phone at 1-877-464-4772

Q:Where will grantees be able to locate the instruction manuals for the performance reports?

A: Grantees will be able to access their program-specific instruction manual through the EHB. In addition, the manuals will be posted on the BHW grants website at

Q:Is there a way to look at the data forms required for my program without logging into EHB?

A: Yes. Grantees will be able to view a program-specific overview of the required performance measure forms on the BHW grants website at

Q:Are reports from prior years stored in the EHBs?

A: Yes. Grantees can locate reports from prior reporting periods in EHB by using any of the following methods:
a) Clicking the ‘view prior period data’ link within a form or under your Resources tab;
b) Going into your grant folder and searching for previously completed reports; or
c) Clicking on the "submissions" link in the left side navigation menu.

Q:Will the information we are submitting in this reporting period be automatically used to populate the forms in the future?

A: Yes. Depending on the form, certain data fields will prepopulate for future reporting periods based on the data you enter when the record is initially created. For example, information reported on the EXP-1 and EXP-2 forms for training sites used will carry over each reporting period. Similarly, much of the information reported on the INDGEN form will also carry over each reporting period until the individual completes their specific training program or permanently leaves before completion.




  • No labels