This topic covers the initial preparation and submission of your UDS report. It also covers what to do if the UDS editor returns your report for change request.
Completing and submitting your UDS report is a three-step process, as described below.
Complete the data entry for all the tables and supporting forms, and the Electronic Health Record Capabilities and Quality Recognition Form, in the UDS Report. Resolve any validation errors that occur during data entry. Specifically:
- Complete the Contact Information page.
- Verify the Project Director information. (Note that any changes to be made to this information will need to be made through the profile section in the EHBs.)
- Enter the information for a primary UDS contact person (required), and CEO, chairperson, and clinical director (optional). If you filed a report last year, the information for the UDS contact person will be imported from that report. If this is the case, verify the information and update as necessary.
- Complete data entry for the Patients By ZIP Code page and validate that the ZIP codes entered are correct.
- Enter data for all tables: Table 3A, 3B, 4, 5, 5A, 6A, 6B, 7, 8A, 9D and 9E. (Look-alikes have no Table 6A.) For Tables 3A, 3B, 4, 5 and 6A, enter data for the universal and all applicable grant-specific reports. (Look-alikes have only the universal report.)
- Ensure that all the data entered within the Tables meet the business requirements by fixing any validation checks.
- Where applicable, ensure that the data between the universal report and grant specific reports of Tables 3A, 3B, 4, 5 and 6A are valid. For example, each number you enter in the universal report for Table 3A must be at least equal to the sum of corresponding numbers in the grant-specific reports for Table 3A. You must fix any discrepancies in data between the Table 3A universal and grant-specific reports (and you must do the same for the other tables as well).
- Complete the EHR Information page. Mark the page as complete when done.
- All health centers must answer question 1. Only health centers that answer "Yes" to question 1 need complete the rest of the form.
- Health centers that answer "No" to question 1 must provide comments.
As soon as at least one Table is in "Validated" status, you can begin performing data audit checks on the report. Specifically:
- Execute the Data Audit Report to generate a list of Data Audit checks, or "edits" (questionable data entries on individual tables and errors or discrepancies that exist between tables).
- Clear the edits by fixing the errors and either fixing or adding an explanation for the exceptions.
- When all the edits have been cleared, run the Data Audit Report again. When this results in no more edits, you will be able to move to Step 3.
When Contact Information, Patients by ZIP Code, and all the tables in the report are in "Validated" status, and EHR Information and Report Comments are in "Complete" status, the report is ready to be submitted.
- Review the data entered and print any or all Tables, as desired.
- Electronically sign the report to acknowledge the correctness of the data.
- Submit the report.
If the UDS reviewer returns your report with a change request, take note of what the reviewer requests, and then prepare and submit your report as you did initially, following the three steps described above. For more information, see Working on a Change Request and Resubmitting.
For more on the Uniform Data System as it is implemented in the HRSA Electronic Handbooks, please go to https://grants3.hrsa.gov/2010/WebTrainingInternal/Interface/CBT/UDS%20TA/UDS_TA_Slides.htm